Saturday, June 14, 2008

Flag Day 2008

June 14- Flag Day and My Grandmother Waters’ birthday
Her name was Roxie Belle Worthington Waters, although she didn’t want anyone to know her middle name. She was always a fun grandmother to play with. One of my favorite memories with her was in Fairmont, a small town in southeastern NC, where she lived. During a trip to the grocery store the power went out. I am not sure how we paid for the groceries, but I think it was the first experience I remember of losing power. Anyway we went back to the house and the power came back on later in the evening. As a child, it was a fun experience to share with her and we talked about the memory many times.
During the summer, she would always take us to the swimming pool. As a child you don’t understand the sacrifices grandparents or parents make. Not until recently did I realize that she had to pay to keep her membership to the pool and then sit out at the pool (under the shelter) while we swam. I never really thought about her not liking to go the pool-she never swam. But I do hope she enjoyed taking us and watching us have fun. I also hope I was very thankful and grateful for the times to go swimming.

No comments: