Hannah Moriah has always enjoyed singing the little song, "Zacchaeus" ("Zacchaeus was a wee little man, and a wee little man was he, he climbed up in the sycamore tree for the Lord he wanted to see, and as the Savior can that way, he looked up in that tree, and He said, 'Zacchaeus, you come down, for I'm going to your house today, for I'm going to your house today.") When she was very little, it was hard for her to say Zacchaeus, but I always understood what she meant.
Recently she was singing it again with her CD, and this time she was really emphasising "Zacchaeus, you come down" with such gusto. She is becoming a great little mother-helper with Elim, telling him what to do and what not to do. She is repeating her mother, "And I said..." She is learning a little from her mother about being "bossy." And so she really likes singing with meaning, "you come down..." I am becoming more aware of what habits or mannerisms that I am teaching her. May God help me to have more kindness and patience in my voice as I parent and guide Hannah Moriah and Elim.
Elim is also growing and learning new adventures as an 18 month old. Today at Burger King, he climbed up the big tree and went across the tunnels. An older girl helped him come down the big slide. He had a great time. I am sure that he will be able to do it all by himself by this summer. So, his new adventure also reminded me of Zacchaeus. One commentary describes the predicament, "the tax collector is too short to see over the crowd, but his desire is so great that he exercises creativity in attaining his goal." Elim has that same desire to climb and go. He is an example, just like Zacchaeus to be creative in reaching our goals. Being a godly wife, parent, and woman in today culture will take creativity. Even just finding time to read the Bible quietly with two preschoolers requires some tree climbing for myself each morning. Yet, it is worth the climb to get a glimpse of Jesus and to hear him call my name.
But I pray ultimately, that my efforts to reach Jesus would result in his presence being welcomed in my home.
"When Jesus reached the spot, he looked up and said to him, "Zacchaeus, come down immediately. I must stay at your house today." Luke 19:5
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
Caroline you must begin writing a devotional for young mothers! I will be the first to buy one.
Post a Comment